John Powell III
E-mail MeJohn Powell III
John Powell, III graduated from the University of Tulsa College of Law in 1997, completing the Juris Doctorate program in 2.5 years with a gpa of 3.4. He joined his father’s law firm after passing the Texas bar exam in 1998. A catastrophic battle with meningitis in 1999 sidelined him at the outset of his career for about a year. In 2001, he returned to his advanced legal education in the post-doctoral Master of Laws & Letters (LL.M.) program in Health Law at the University of Houston Law Center – completing the program in a single year with a higher g.p.a. than he earned in the J.D. program at T.U.
Since 2001, John has practiced and lived in Pearland, Brazoria County, Texas. He is married, with one daughter, age 21.
John’s practice rests primarily in the areas of small business representation, as well as Family Law, where he has represented persons in literally hundreds of divorces, child custody and support modifications, as well as adoptions, terminations, and paternity cases. His small business clients have taken advantage of his skills as both a corporate structure planner and organizer, as well as strategic analyst for the legal aspects of their businesses. Of course, he has also handled many business vs. business cases, such as matters of payment or delivery of products and/or goods.
A skilled mediator, John takes advantage of the experience gained in the litigation process of his own cases to assist other lawyers and the parties they represent to resolve their conflicts amicably, and with less expense, and perhaps most importantly, in less time, than would be the case down at the courthouse.
Areas of Practice
- 60% Family Law
- 25% Business Representation
- 15% Wills and Estates
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Texas, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1998
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas - 2001
- Major: Health Law
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- J.D. - 1997
- University of Missouri - Rolla, Rolla, Missouri - 1989
- Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri - 1992
- Major: Chemistry/Biology
- Minor: Physics/Mathematics
Honors and Awards
- Who's Who in America , 2004 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member, 1998 - Present
- Brazoria County Bar Association, Member, 2010 - Present
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Association of Visually-Impaired Attorneys, Member
- Association of Attorney Mediators , Member
- Texas Association of Mediators , Member
- Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, Credentialed Mediator
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Member